Thursday, December 29, 2011

What is a typical hair dresser's schedule?

I am really considering going to cosmetology school. I am a mom, and I want to know the pro's and the con's of the schedule!What is a typical hair dresser's schedule?
with this profession you pretty much decide your schedule, your clients will have to work around your schedule that's whats so nice about being a hair dresser (you definitely need to open on sat. for the party's)What is a typical hair dresser's schedule?
my hairstylist works out of her garage,,,,,how easy is that? If your good enough,,,people will go out of their way to find YOU! GOOD LUCK sweetie!
the schedule is busy busy busy busy busy... First off... unless you are a manager/owner of a salon.. there are no vacation days.. (unless you get a very prestigious salon with lots of money) anyway... For hairdressers, there is no set time on when to come in and leave.. well for me... I come in the morning and leave when the last client leaves.. that could be 6pm, 7pm, 11:30 pm... its random... no two days are alike and there is always something new to learn in hairdressing... usually salons are open tuesday through sunday but that depends on the salon..... Some days the salon will be super busy and others it will be completely dead.. so dead you wont even hear the buzz of crickets and grasshoppers.... (lol) anyway; I love the salon business its wonderful even if it is a pain sometimes... but i have such a passion for it that i dont care i stick with it... GOOD LUCK ON YOUR DECISION
hi well I have been a hairdresser for over 15 years and now own my own salon, it can be very hard demanding work for not a lot of wages, expect to be on your feet all day, some night school as well, keeping up with different techniques and styles and cutting, expect clients who show you a style of a celebrity and don't have the hair to do it with, apart from that I love it, you could also do cruise liners etc when qualified the world is your pair of scissors depending on how creative you are, do some work part time helping in salon to get the taste of it first
monday- off


tuesday-7:00am -6:00pm


wednesday-7:00am-4:00pm


thursday-7:00am-7:00pm


friday-7:00am-3:00pm


saturday-off


sunday-off





so you wont get tired of cutting hair you could like switch out cutting hair and doing nails or even makeup and this schedule is also goodbecause u have kids
Most hair cutting places don't work mondays to my knowledge
I, too am a mom and have recently graduated from cosemtology school and at present I am now working in a salon...I am full time and I work Tuesday thru Saturday...our salon is open 7 days a week..I love what I do but starting off there are definitely alot of SSSSSSSSSSLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWW days where you may not have one client in a 8 hours time slot but then ther a re days when you are hopping from client to client and you cant even run to the ladies room..but it is alot of funa nd you never stop learning and remember family members are always models :-)
Most salons nowadays are open 7 days a week. I started off sometimes working shifts that were 10 days, 14 days and even 16 days straight. That was the busy times and when I was new. Sundays sucked to work, but I did them for two years and now I don't anymore. I didn't have 2 days of in a row either. This is making it seem bad, but really its probably the first year that is, but after you get some clientelle and a bit of seniority, it gets better. When you start it truthfully is LONGGGGGGG 8 hour shifts of maybe one or two clients and LOTS of cleaning. All I can say is try to start at a place with lots of walk ins so you can build your business. They will refer their friends and family to you and it grows. After that initial year, you are busier, usually get a decent shift, and some flexibility in your schedule to take some time off. Now I work Tuesday to Saturday 9to6, and one late night till 8pm.It actually isn't that bad. The one thing I would consider is that with your kids, the evening and saturday work might be a problem with their after school activities and such. I am not a mom myself, but i know lots of the moms at work have missed lots of soccer, hockey games, dance recititals and such. It wouldn't be a huge problem if you state before you even start your job that you would like flexibility with this sort of stuff, but in your cese, it is a personal decision. I know that when i have kids that i will be cutting my hours to see this type of stuff. It does get better as time goes on. Once you have an established business, you can chair rent where you pay for your own product and everything (you would be self-employed), but with this you pay a monthly fee and you decide on your own hours. This would only be done once you have a clientlle though, without one, it might be hard to make your payments. I have gotten busier in the last couple of years, and my cheque has definatley reflected that. i work for someone, i don't chair rent, so once I bring in a certain amount of service dollars every month,my commission goes up. It definatley pays off. you can be as busy and as rich as you want to be, it depends on how hard you want to work. I absolutley love the business, I can't picture myself doing anything different. It can be stressful at times, but most of the time its fun. i find that I am better friends with my clients now more than anything. hope this helps you out!

No comments:

Post a Comment