Wednesday, December 28, 2011

What is the norm for how hair dresser are paid? Hourly? Commissions? What?

It really depends on where you work. I've never heard of a hair dresser getting paid hourly, usually it is chair rental (the hair dresser pays a certain amount to the owner of the salon every week for use of the chair and station ) or they get paid commission, one salon I worked in I got paid 45% of what I did and the salon I am at now I get 60% of what I do.What is the norm for how hair dresser are paid? Hourly? Commissions? What?
Borics and Fantastic Sams are not chop shops and its the stylist not the shop that gets the reputation for doing bad hair, get a brain

Report Abuse


What is the norm for how hair dresser are paid? Hourly? Commissions? What?
My best friend is a hair dresser and she basically takes home everything she makes she rents her booth from the salon she works for. So the money she brings home depends on her cliental and how much her booth rent is per month....
In alot of hair salons, they get paid what you pay them, but have to pay booth rent. But high class salons usually have the person give them a percentage of each hair style at the end of the week, the hair stylist gets a check.
Wel my sis has been doing hair for like 6.5 years and she has always been paid commision (50-65% of whatever services she does) Now she is a Manager at a salon and gets paid 65% of services she does and comission on the overall of the salon. She says if they ever pay you hourly it's a rip off, Unless it's a slow salon.
I'm currently finishing up getting my cosmetology license. from what I found for pay for cosmetologists varies from state to state, even city to city. But statisically they make $30,000-$60,000 a year. the bigger the city, the higher the pay. Hope this helps!
I owned a hair salon for 10 years. We worked our system on a commission basis. Starting out, a new stylist would earn 40% of thier weekly ticket and the salon 60%. At that rate you, as an owner, need to provide all overhead expenditures to the stylist aside from their product and color usage.





As the stylist gets busier, you would typically move them up in 5% incriments. We capped it off at a 60% earnings for a stylist (we needed to make at least 40% of a weekly total in order to cover our costs to run the busiiness).





We also had something in place called a ';sliding scale';. If a sylist was making 50% yet they had an ';outstanding week'; and surpassed their ';regular'; expected totals, we would bump up their pay by 3% as they reached different financial ';milestones';.





There are a lot of ways to pay stylists. I have never heard a good thing from an owner about ';chair rental'; (flat fee paid by stylist to salon each week). I also have never heard any salon paying hourly (except the ';chop shops'; like Bo-Rics and Fantastic Sams...)





Good Luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment